HTTP/1.0 200 OK Content-Type: text/html Teens Die after Inhaling Butane
Pubdate: Tue, 20 Apr 2004
Source: Montreal Gazette (CN QU)

Copyright: 2004 The Gazette, a division of Southam Inc.
Author: Sidhartha Banerjee, The Gazette
Note: Canadian Press (wire service) contributed to this report


One In Brossard, One In Mont St. Gregoire

Two Monteregie teenagers have died in the past two days after inhaling 
fumes from butane gas containers, prompting police and poison control 
experts to warn teens and parents about the dangers of 'huffing'.

A 17-year-old boy was found dead in the bedroom of his Brossard home by his 
father just after 9 p.m. last night.

Longueuil police found two containers of butane near the body, but are 
calling it a suspicious death pending an autopsy, said Constable Gaetan 
Durocher, a Longueuil police spokesperson.

On Sunday, a 16-year-old boy died after inhaling fumes from a container of 
butane gas in what the Surete du Quebec has determined was an accidental 
death or a failed attempt to get high.

The teen was found under similar circumstances, just after midnight by his 
parents in the basement of the family home in Mont St. Gregoire, 40 
kilometres southeast of Montreal. He was in cardiac arrest and a can of 
butane was next to him.

Dr. Martin Laliberte, of the provincial poison control centre, said inhaled 
solvents are the second-most popular drug among teens, after marijuana.

Youths have easy access to solvents like butane because they're available 
in many stores and are cheaper than marijuana or other illicit drugs, he added.

While huffing can kill someone the first time they inhale, repeated abuse 
can also cause long-term brain damage. Solvents can kill by depriving an 
individual of oxygen, inducing cardiac arrest, Laliberte explained.
- ---
MAP posted-by: Jackl