Pubdate: Wed, 12 Jul 2017
Source: Seattle Post-Intelligencer (WA)
Copyright: 2017 Seattle Post-Intelligencer
Contact: P.O. Box 1909, Seattle, WA 98111-1909
Author: Suzanne Pham, KOMO News



Last year, there were 49 cases of kids under the age of 5 accidentally
eating treats with marijuana in them.

TACOMA, Wash. - A Tacoma mother says her 14-month-old daughter got
sick after eating candy with marijuana in it. And now, she wants to
warn other parents.

The woman, who does not want to be identified, said the toddler found
the candy at a relative's home without anyone knowing. When she went
to pick up her daughter, the girl started acting strangely.

"She was very lazy. She was not alert," said the mother.

Her daughter wasn't eating, not walking, and every time someone picked
her up, she'd start crying.

The mother took the baby to the hospital several times before doctors
figured out that the child most likely consumed a marijuana edible.

According to Washington Poison Control, there has not been a
noticeable uptick in poisonings involving marijuana edibles and minors.

Last year, there were 49 cases of kids under the age of 5 accidentally
eating treats with marijuana in them.

"The common scenario we are seeing with the younger kids-- parents are
leaving the products laying out. They have it in the gym bag or purse.
The kids are rummaging through the purse or gym bag and that's how
they find it. The parent has taken it out of the packaging and the
child doesn't recognize it," said Dr. Alexander Garrard, Washington
Poison Center.

Nurse Deborah Schultz with Washington Poison Center says she gets a
call from a concerned parent about accidental ingestion of marijuana
edibles at least once a week.

"It's pretty scary for the parents because obviously their kids get
pretty stoned," said Schultz. "Some kids get pretty agitated. And
their kids get very sleepy."

Schultz said she had one call recently involving a grandfather and two
young kids.

"We got a grandfather who was sort of babysitting the kids and found
some edible candies. He gave the 7-year-old three (pieces). There was
a 5-year-old. I think he ate a couple also," said Shultz.

"They felt very funny. The 7-year-old was crying a lot and got really
upset because she didn't know what was going on. She was pretty agitated."

Adults and children are warned to look for the warning labels - the
red hand, the words "Not for Kids" and the emergency number listed.

If you have marijuana edibles in your home - make sure they are
properly stored out of reach of children.

If you suspect a child accidentally ingested any drug, call the
Washington Poison Center.

A spokesman for the Washington Liquor and Cannabis Board says it
requires child-proof packaging and a warning on all marijuana edibles.
Each individual serving must also have also child-proof packaging.

According to the spokesman, the board has a four-person panel to
review all edible marijuana products and checks to make sure they are
"not especially appealing to children."

Washington State Legislature just passed House Bill-1250 that would
allow marijuana retailers to give free lock boxes to their customers
to safely store their products.
- ---
MAP posted-by: Matt