Media Awareness Project

<< PrevAreaAuthorEmailIndexPrintRateSourceTranslateNext >>

US NY: Six Men Charged In Pot Pipeline

Share on Facebook Share on stumbleupon digg it Share on reddit Share on del.icio.us
URL: http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v09/n171/a10.html
Newshawk: Larry
Votes: 0
Pubdate: Thu, 12 Feb 2009
Source: Watertown Daily Times (NY)
Copyright: 2009 Watertown Daily Times
Contact:
Website: http://www.wdt.net
Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/792
Author: David Winters, Staff Writer
Note: MAP archives articles exactly as published, except that our editors may redact the names and addresses of accused persons who have not been convicted of a crime, if those named are not otherwise public figures or officials.

SIX MEN CHARGED IN POT PIPELINE

Two-Year Probe: Marijuana Moved Through Reservation

Federal authorities charged six people over their alleged roles in an international marijuana smuggling operation that moved thousands of pounds of pot through the St.  Regis Mohawk Reservation, netting the crime syndicate about $100 million. 

The two-year investigation exposed a pipeline bringing about 50,000 pounds of marijuana into the U.S.  and distributing it to several cities, including Syracuse, Rochester, Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan, federal prosecutors said Wednesday.  The syndicate is alleged to have moved the marijuana through the reservation from January 2003 to last month. 

"We won't see the impact from this for a few weeks," Assistant U.S.  Attorney Steven L.  Tiscione said. 

The Eastern District of New York, which covers three New York City boroughs ( Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island ) and Long Island, is handling the case. 

The ringleaders of the operation allegedly were [redacted].  Both were accused of running a "continuing criminal enterprise" - a racketeering statue that's generally used to prosecute organized crime rings. 

If convicted on the criminal enterprise charge, both of them face mandatory imprisonment of at least 20 years.  A life sentence is the maximum possible, as are fines of up to $2 million each. 

[redacted] who was arrested Tuesday on a federal search warrant executed at [redacted], was arraigned Tuesday in U.S.  District Court in Plattsburgh and has a detention hearing scheduled for Friday in Albany.  [redacted] was arraigned on the charges Monday in Brooklyn. 

Four other people - [redacted] - were indicted on charges of conspiracies to distribute and possess more than 1,000 kilograms of marijuana and money laundering.  [redacted] also face those charges.  A redacted federal indictment was unsealed Tuesday. 

Several federal, state and area law enforcement agencies assisted in the investigation.  Authorities seized an unknown amount of drugs, weapons, vehicles and cash.  Prosecutors also are looking to seize several properties in Quebec, Hogansburg and Middle Village. 

The investigation is continuing and more arrests are pending. 



MAP posted-by: Larry Seguin

<< PrevAreaAuthorEmailIndexPrintRateSourceTranslateNext >>
PrevNew Zealand: Job Loss After Drug Find 'Reasonable'Get The Facts
DrugWarFacts.org
NextUS CA: PUB LTE: Another Course for Phelps
Latest Top 100 Stories Opinions Queue Donate
Home Resources Listserves Search Feedback Links