Media Awareness Project

<< PrevAreaAuthorEmailIndexPrintRateSourceTranslateNext >>

US MI: Drug Grant Funds in Danger

Share on Facebook Share on stumbleupon digg it Share on reddit Share on del.icio.us
URL: http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v08/n337/a04.html
Newshawk: Alert: Special Interests Scream http://www.mapinc.org/alert/0363.html
Votes: 0
Pubdate: Thu, 27 Mar 2008
Source: Sentinel-Standard (Ionia, MI)
Copyright: 2008 Liberty Group Michigan Holdings, Inc.
Contact:
Website: http://www.sentinel-standard.com/
Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/4730
Author: Alex Doty, Sentinel-Standard writer
Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/topic/Byrne (Byrne Grants)

DRUG GRANT FUNDS IN DANGER

IONIA - National cuts could trickle down and have a local impact if proposed cuts to the Edward Byrne Justice Assistance Grant Program go through. 

This would have a negative impact on efforts to curb drug use around not only the nation, but Michigan as well. 

Michigan could potentially lose two-thirds of its nearly $10 million of funding received in 2007. 

Nationally, the funding will be reduced to about $170 million, down about 67 percent from last year's nearly $520 million. 

Some of the programs these Byrne grant dollars help fund include county officers for the Central Michigan Enforcement Team drug task force made up of law enforcement agencies from Ionia, Montcalm, Mecosta and Newaygo counties. 

"We are reimbursed for 50 percent of the officer expenses we put up," Ionia County Administrator Mark Howe said. 

The total cost for an officer is about $80,000, with the county being reimbursed for about $40,000. 

If the program is indeed cut, Howe said it would be something the county would have to take a look at continuing. 

Local law enforcement officials are also weighing in on possible impact a cut in the grant program would bring. 

Ionia County Sheriff Dwain Dennis said there has been an effort across the nation by law enforcement officials to encourage congressional leaders to reinstate the funding to previous levels. 

He said the assistance the Byrne grant provides to the CMET program is a help to the county department. 

"We just don't have the resources to patrol narcotics complaints as well as we should," Dennis said, adding that the local officers are just trying to keep up with day to day tasks and complaints. 

"We just want to keep being able to enforce the laws," said Dennis. 

The sheriff wasn't the only local law enforcement official who was concerned about the cuts

Lt.  Patrick Richard, Michigan State Police Ionia Post Commander, said he was concerned that without Byrne funding there is a possibility for cuts in the CMET program. 

"CMET does a lot of stuff that people don't know about," said Richard. 

Lt.  Steve Rau, commander of CMET, said they are currently waiting to see what happens with the cuts. 

Despite the potential for the reduction in funding, Sen.  Alan Cropsey, R-DeWitt, sponsored a Senate resolution urging the U.S.  Congress to reverse cuts to the grant program. 

Cropsey said the cuts would have a significant impact on many drug control efforts. 

He also said Gov.  Jennifer Granholm had based her budget on the state receiving funds from the Byrne grant. 

The Senate resolution, which was adopted March 25, will be sent to President George W.  Bush, the U.S.  House of Representative and members of the Michigan congressional delegation. 

The Byrne grant program is a national grant program that allows states and local governments to support activities to control crime and improve the justice system. 


MAP posted-by: Richard Lake

<< PrevAreaAuthorEmailIndexPrintRateSourceTranslateNext >>
PrevUS MT: Editorial: Regional Anti-Drug Task Forces Deserve More SupportGet The Facts
DrugWarFacts.org
NextUS MN: Federal Cuts Would Affect Local Drug Fight
Latest Top 100 Stories Opinions Queue Donate
Home Resources Listserves Search Feedback Links