Pubdate: Fri, 29 Dec 2000
Source: Auburn Journal (CA)
Copyright: 2000 Auburn Journal
Contact:  1030 High St., Auburn, CA 95603
Website: http://www.auburnjournal.com/
Author: Gus Thomson, Journal Staff Writer
Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/kubby.htm

KUBBY CHALLENGES D.A. ON POT GUIDELINES

Marijuana Activist Announces Plans For Recall Campaign

Steve Kubby has called on Placer County District Attorney Brad Fenocchio to 
adopt the so-called Oakland guidelines on medical marijuana possession or 
face a recall effort.

Fresh from a mistrial on marijuana-possession-for-sale charges in Placer 
County Superior Court, Kubby held a press conference Thursday in Orange 
County to announce his plans for a recall campaign. The 1998 Libertarian 
Party gubernatorial candidate, Kubby said he has informed Fenocchio's 
campaign manager that the recall will not be formally filed until after 
Jan. 15.

Kubby said the mid-January deadline will allow Fenocchio time to study and 
adopt the Oakland guidelines. The guidelines allow up to 144 cannabis 
plants to be grown by anyone with a doctor's recommendation under 
Proposition 215 to grow and use marijuana.

Kubby played a key role in placing Prop. 215 on the state ballot four years 
ago. Two years later, Placer County authorities raided his Olympic Valley 
home and confiscated 265 pot plants at various stages of growth. A trial 
that spanned four months ended last week in Auburn with a Superior Court 
jury deadlocked 11-1 for acquittal in the marijuana charges against Kubby 
and his wife, Michele.

Steve Kubby was convicted of felony possession of a magic mushroom stem and 
peyote buttons. He'll be sentenced Feb. 2. The District Attorney's Office 
could decide to retry the Kubbys on the marijuana charges.

Kubby was also planning to request the Oakland guidelines be adopted in 
Orange County. Fenocchio was unavailable for comment Thursday.

"A strict jury in ultra-conservative Placer County has voted 11-1 to uphold 
the Oakland guidelines and we are urging Mr. Fenocchio to heed the 
message," Kubby said. "While we have decided to move forward with a recall 
campaign in February, we remain hopeful that Mr. Fenocchio will agree to 
recognize the rights of the medical cannabis community."

Kubby said the recall campaign would show conservative voters in Placer 
County that high-profile marijuana trials and "impending civil suits" have 
an impact on their taxes. A second medical marijuana trial  involving 
Rocklin dentist Michael Baldwin  is slated for retrial in January.

"At some point, the voters are going to have to ask themselves if they can 
afford to continue subsidizing such an expensive and illegal war against 
bona fide medical cannabis use," Kubby said.

Kubby said plans are already in place to raise money and recruit volunteers.

"Our fondest hope is that Placer County will put their war on sick people 
behind them and assume a leadership role in protecting patients while 
creating a bright line for law enforcement," Kubby said.

Marijuana activist announces plans for recall campaign

By Gus Thomson, Journal Staff Writer

Steve Kubby has called on Placer County District Attorney Brad Fenocchio to 
adopt the so-called Oakland guidelines on medical marijuana possession or 
face a recall effort.

Fresh from a mistrial on marijuana-possession-for-sale charges in Placer 
County Superior Court, Kubby held a press conference Thursday in Orange 
County to announce his plans for a recall campaign. The 1998 Libertarian 
Party gubernatorial candidate, Kubby said he has informed Fenocchio's 
campaign manager that the recall will not be formally filed until after 
Jan. 15.

Kubby said the mid-January deadline will allow Fenocchio time to study and 
adopt the Oakland guidelines. The guidelines allow up to 144 cannabis 
plants to be grown by anyone with a doctor's recommendation under 
Proposition 215 to grow and use marijuana.

Kubby played a key role in placing Prop. 215 on the state ballot four years 
ago. Two years later, Placer County authorities raided his Olympic Valley 
home and confiscated 265 pot plants at various stages of growth. A trial 
that spanned four months ended last week in Auburn with a Superior Court 
jury deadlocked 11-1 for acquittal in the marijuana charges against Kubby 
and his wife, Michele.

Steve Kubby was convicted of felony possession of a magic mushroom stem and 
peyote buttons. He'll be sentenced Feb. 2. The District Attorney's Office 
could decide to retry the Kubbys on the marijuana charges.

Kubby was also planning to request the Oakland guidelines be adopted in 
Orange County. Fenocchio was unavailable for comment Thursday.

"A strict jury in ultra-conservative Placer County has voted 11-1 to uphold 
the Oakland guidelines and we are urging Mr. Fenocchio to heed the 
message," Kubby said. "While we have decided to move forward with a recall 
campaign in February, we remain hopeful that Mr. Fenocchio will agree to 
recognize the rights of the medical cannabis community."

Kubby said the recall campaign would show conservative voters in Placer 
County that high-profile marijuana trials and "impending civil suits" have 
an impact on their taxes. A second medical marijuana trial  involving 
Rocklin dentist Michael Baldwin  is slated for retrial in January.

"At some point, the voters are going to have to ask themselves if they can 
afford to continue subsidizing such an expensive and illegal war against 
bona fide medical cannabis use," Kubby said.

Kubby said plans are already in place to raise money and recruit volunteers.

"Our fondest hope is that Placer County will put their war on sick people 
behind them and assume a leadership role in protecting patients while 
creating a bright line for law enforcement," Kubby said. Kubby challenges 
D.A. on pot guidelines

Marijuana activist announces plans for recall campaign

By Gus Thomson, Journal Staff Writer

Steve Kubby has called on Placer County District Attorney Brad Fenocchio to 
adopt the so-called Oakland guidelines on medical marijuana possession or 
face a recall effort.

Fresh from a mistrial on marijuana-possession-for-sale charges in Placer 
County Superior Court, Kubby held a press conference Thursday in Orange 
County to announce his plans for a recall campaign. The 1998 Libertarian 
Party gubernatorial candidate, Kubby said he has informed Fenocchio's 
campaign manager that the recall will not be formally filed until after 
Jan. 15.

Kubby said the mid-January deadline will allow Fenocchio time to study and 
adopt the Oakland guidelines. The guidelines allow up to 144 cannabis 
plants to be grown by anyone with a doctor's recommendation under 
Proposition 215 to grow and use marijuana.

Kubby played a key role in placing Prop. 215 on the state ballot four years 
ago. Two years later, Placer County authorities raided his Olympic Valley 
home and confiscated 265 pot plants at various stages of growth. A trial 
that spanned four months ended last week in Auburn with a Superior Court 
jury deadlocked 11-1 for acquittal in the marijuana charges against Kubby 
and his wife, Michele.

Steve Kubby was convicted of felony possession of a magic mushroom stem and 
peyote buttons. He'll be sentenced Feb. 2. The District Attorney's Office 
could decide to retry the Kubbys on the marijuana charges.

Kubby was also planning to request the Oakland guidelines be adopted in 
Orange County. Fenocchio was unavailable for comment Thursday.

"A strict jury in ultra-conservative Placer County has voted 11-1 to uphold 
the Oakland guidelines and we are urging Mr. Fenocchio to heed the 
message," Kubby said. "While we have decided to move forward with a recall 
campaign in February, we remain hopeful that Mr. Fenocchio will agree to 
recognize the rights of the medical cannabis community."

Kubby said the recall campaign would show conservative voters in Placer 
County that high-profile marijuana trials and "impending civil suits" have 
an impact on their taxes. A second medical marijuana trial  involving 
Rocklin dentist Michael Baldwin  is slated for retrial in January.

"At some point, the voters are going to have to ask themselves if they can 
afford to continue subsidizing such an expensive and illegal war against 
bona fide medical cannabis use," Kubby said.

Kubby said plans are already in place to raise money and recruit volunteers.

"Our fondest hope is that Placer County will put their war on sick people 
behind them and assume a leadership role in protecting patients while 
creating a bright line for law enforcement," Kubby said.
- ---
MAP posted-by: Jo-D